
Dhikr.
What does dhikr mean to me? That should be the question on the my personal essay list. But instead, I come across nugatory questions such as: 'What does this job mean to you?' or 'Describe yourself in a few words.'
Dhikr is a magnificent concept. It means I can be a monk without being deprived. It means I can experience an extra taste of where I want to belong. I was reading a fascinating book by Dr. Wagdi and I began to think about The Creator. And perhaps it was because I watched Avatar or because then I realized the movie has a legitimate idea, but basically I had an epiphany of some sort.
We belong with Him. Our home is Him. Beauty is Him. He is the epitome of Beauty, and that is why we love beauty. That feeling of comfort and feeling of being home when you lay on your mother's bosom is truly just a microcosm of what the real feeling of Home is. That experience of being united with the 'Spirit' illustrated in Avatar is really just a rip off of what is expressed in the holy tradition.
And that's when I began to realize how stupid I can be when I am lazy in prayers or when I become neglectful of my duties. The Sustainer wants us to be with Him. He is calling for us. He is even making excuses for us to be forgiven. Yet, we are oppressive to ourselves.
We are so foolish.
Sincerely,
Your student
No comments:
Post a Comment